In June, Facebook announced big news: Instagram now has video! This feature has many businesses excited, as Instagram video makes it easy and fast for contest participants to create and submit video entries.
If your brand or client wants to host an Instagram video contest, this post provides you with everything you need to know.
Let’s get started!
How to create an Instagram video contest within ShortStack:
- Go into the Form Designer and create a simple Promotion Form.
- To get your form ready for an Instagram video contest, under the Custom Fields section on the left side of the Form Designer, select the Video URL button. Hover your mouse over the yellow pencil icon to edit.
- To allow submissions via Instagram, check the box “Allow users to submit via Instagram” under the Upload Options tab on the left of the Form Designer. When the box is checked, a new window will open from Instagram. You will need to login to an Instagram profile, authorizing Instagram to fetch photos on its behalf.
- Optional step #1: If you want to create a video contest in which users can only upload videos from Instagram, under the Upload Options check the box, “Disable Youtube and Vimeo URL submissions.”
- Optional step #2: If you’ve chosen to check the ”Disable Youtube and Vimeo URL submissions” box, you can require a hashtag for your Instagram video contest. This will make it so contest entrants will only be able to choose from videos that contain your hashtag.
- When you’re done, click the orange “Save Form” button in the upper right of the Form Designer. That’s it!
IMPORTANT things to keep in mind:
- • Instagram users with “private” profiles will not be able to submit. Make an obvious note of this somewhere within the copy of your contest app.
- • Contest entrants can only submit videos that have been posted within the last 2 weeks. It’s a good idea to make this clear in your app’s copy as well.
- • Submissions via Instagram will show up in the Voting Widget.
- • The Instagram video contest feature is only available to ShortStack users on paid plans.
Need some app inspiration? We’ve got some, plus a NEW ShortStack Instagram Video Template!
Labor Day is just around the corner. To celebrate, have your business or client host an Instagram video contest! Ask Facebook fans to create videos of their Labor Day weekend fun with a hashtag specific to your company’s contest — this will allow you to better track contest entries and the conversation users are having about your brand.
It’s super simple to host an Instagram video contest with our new Instagram Video template — check out the video below to learn how to use it!
Get creative with the kinds of video submissions you want from your entrants. For example, if you’re a clothing company, ask fans to take a video of their Labor Day BBQ outfit. Or if you’re a food or beverage company, ask them to share their favorite how-to recipe. Whatever you do, make the context of your Instagram video contest relevant to your or your client’s business.
P.S. With ShortStack’s mobile capabilities, it’s easy for your Facebook fans to keep up with your Labor Day Weekend Facebook Instagram video contest and submit their entries on the go via their mobile devices. To learn more about ShortStack applications for mobile devices, click here.
More AWESOME stuff:
- • For more September app ideas, click here for a link to download our free September App Ideas monthly PDF.
- • For best practices, tips and more on how to host a successful Instagram photo contest, click here.